T-shirt Surgery: The Grown Up Version

After performing t-shirt surgery to make my girls some upcycled Carlie’s Dolman Tops last week (see here and here), I got to thinking about a pieced-together Kymy’s Dolman for myself. I looked through my stash and knew exactly what I wanted to try when my eyes landed on these two remnants I bought last summer.

P1020865

I picked them up intending to use them for my girls because I knew they were too small to make an entire top for myself. But, as much as I love the colors, I couldn’t talk my daughters into liking them so they’ve been sitting among my stash and waiting … and so was born my grown-up version of t-shirt surgery.

P1020810   P1020813

I made my shirt using similar steps to method #2 from last week’s post. I decided I wanted a diagonal seam and sliced my pattern (after measuring my remnants to be sure I had enough to fit each piece). Then, when I cut my fabric, I added 3/8 inch seam allowance along the sliced edge, so that the seam wouldn’t alter the finished size of my dolman front.

P1020816    P1020824

I laid my two pieces right sides together and stitched them using my triple stretch stitch and the 3/8″ seam allowance that I added when cutting. I pressed the allowance down toward the flowered piece and top stitched with a long triple stretch stitch to help it lay nicely, but maintain it’s stretch-ability.

Then it was just a matter of following the pattern to sew the front and back of the dolman together and finish all the openings. I chose to make the ruched view since I still love wearing the grey one I made during my last pregnancy. The only place I deviated from the pattern this go-round was choosing to put a narrow band around the neckline rather than folding and stitching a hem.

P1020873   P1020868

I like the result that piecing the front gives to Kymy’s Dolman and fabric choice makes all the difference so it doesn’t look as childish as last week’s t-shirt surgery. It’s definitely a more grown-up look that could be dressed up with a skirt or black pants just as easily as I paired it with my jeans for a more casual outfit.

I am so glad now that my daughters snubbed these remnants when I brought them home. It must’ve been fate that they matched each other perfectly and were just waiting for me to figure out the perfect project! 😉

Happy Sewing!!  ~  Joelle

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Color Blocking Long Sleeves for Kymy’s Dolman | Everything Your Mama Made & More - June 11, 2015

    […] and to add a little interest to the shirt body. I did this using the same method as the last time I color blocked Kymy’s Dolman. After cutting all the pieces, it was just a matter of sewing […]

  2. Floral and Color Blocking for the Win | Everything Your Mama Made & More - February 12, 2016

    […] enough of either for a whole shirt in my size. I had a “make it work” moment and pulled out my “t-shirt surgery” color block copy of Kymy’s Dolman from last year. I added just a few inches to the bottom so that […]

  3. Dreaming of Fall with Striped French Terry | Everything Your Mama Made & More - September 2, 2016

    […] for Kymy’s Dolman, I noticed my color blocked pattern copy next to it from when I made my “t-shirt surgery” top. Inspiration struck and I decided to use that hack to get creative with the […]

Leave a Reply

Guests are limited to images that are no larger than 250KB, and to only jpeg, png, gif file types.