NICU Smock Pattern FREE

THIS FREE PATTERN HAS BEEN UPDATED AND MORE INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE.

NICU Smock Pattern

I drafted this pattern 4 years ago after my cousin’s little boy Benjamin was born months early weighing in at 2lbs 8oz I searched everywhere for preemie cloths to fit!  Babies less than 3lbs are considered ‘micro-preemie’ & you can actually find some stuff on the internet to buy made, but not many patterns.  So after looking at different things I drafted up a pattern for a NICU friendly preemie smock that fits a good range of sizes.    When babies are in the NICU it really helps the parents to see their little ones wearing some sort of clothing.  BUT with all the monitors & wires many clothes are difficult to get on, or they get in the way of the wires or the nurses… which is what makes these so great!

I do not want to sell this pattern because I did not create it so people could make them to sell or I could profit off of it, but to encourage people to help others out.  For that reason this pattern is free for personal and charity sewing only.  This pattern, the pieces along with the instructions & photos, are copyrighted & may not be sold or reproduced without the written consent from the owner of Everything Your Mama Made & More!  Feel free to link people back to the blog where they can access it for free.

Before sewing items to donate to the hospital (this or others) PLEASE contact them first & ask what they need… you may need to bring this in to show them before they can give you an answer.  Some hospitals are very strict about what they can take.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a quick email or leave a comment

Happy Sewing!

Copyright © 2010 Everything Your Mama Made & More!  All Rights Reserved.

Baby Ricardo born at 31 weeks 4lbs 1oz, wearing a reversible smock.

Preemie 6lb doll in the serged version from a generous pattern tester from www.sewingmamas.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

101 Responses to “NICU Smock Pattern FREE”

1. Jennifer Wangen April 22, 2013 at 7:59 am #5616

My twins were born at 1.8 and 1.9 pounds. I made them these little cover-ups along with coordinating mattress covers and blankies for the isolette. It was comforting to do something for them when I couldn’t be there. They are now 15 years old and starting to drive!!!

2. Taryn April 29, 2013 at 9:14 pm #5626

Yay! Glad you could finally see them! :)

3. Arlene Burke May 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm #5627

I think these are so sweet. Making them would be a pleasure but I have a question…I thought flannel was flammable. I make receiving blankets with flannel but I make sure I tell mom not to let anyone smoke near the baby.

• Kymy May 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm #5628

Any cotton is flammable including most of the baby clothes sold in stores. These are designed for the NICU so there won’t be people smoking in there. Very few baby clothes are all synthetic material now a days unless they are fleece. (not that their isn’t but cotton is pretty standard)

• Taryn May 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm #5629

Nobody should be smoking near a baby (especially a premature baby) anyway! :-(

4. Allison May 25, 2013 at 11:14 pm #5630

This is super adorable, I think it is amazing that you not only made this, but are sharing the pattern for others in need. I love that it looks super easy to make it reversible, but the velcro rectangles were bugging me, but then I realized i could just do the opposite thing of velcro on some cute fabric, or bows or something, that can be taken off when reversed. I have a friend carrying twins, high risk, so I’m definitely saving this for later. As cute as this pattern is, I’m hoping that I won’t have a use for it.

5. Tanya May 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm #5631

My son was in the NICU for 39 days. I have been looking for a way to repay them. This will be perfect!
    Thank you for posting this!

6. Kelcy Workman July 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm #5632

Thank you so much for posting this. I wish I’d had this when my best friend had her son 11 weeks early. I’ve made this a few times now to give to people I know that have also had preemies. I’m printing out the pattern again to sew some more for the brother of a friend of mine who just had a preemie.

7. vanessa July 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm #5633

I have a friend who delivered at 24 weeks and their little guy is barely 1. 9lbs. I have been looking everywhere for preemie patterns and found this. In my search I also looked around Etsy. I know this is meant to be a free pattern but there is someone in Etsy selling these for $15+ each. I was disgusted that someone would want to make a profit from parents at such a challenging time.

8. Gayle July 29, 2013 at 5:31 am #5634

Thanks for the pattern and the instructions. I am always looking for a charity project for my students to do. I will try this one out.but will follow your instructions and ask first…local hospitals.Thank you again.
    Gayle

9. Kymy August 7, 2013 at 4:21 pm #5635

I wanted to mention that if you or your group can’t find some place local to donate I recommend contacting Gracie’s Gowns http://www.graciesgowns.org. It is a new program that is having some growing pains, but there heart is SO in the right place. The will distribute smocks to individual families whom request them as well as NICU’s & hospital units who request them! They make personalized gowns for older kids but with the NICU smocks they are often needed suddenly and most of the little receivers don’t have large opinions just YET, lol. So they can take donations from anywhere in the world!!! I just wanted to share because I know many groups & people to want to make these & frequently post looking for a place to donate them.

Also tonight I will be releasing an updated all in 1 .PDF file that has snot just 1 but 4 different smock sizes that are ALL great for donating. I will also be making a new pattern soon with boy & girl specific patterns.

Kymy

• JulieCC February 7, 2014 at 10:18 am #5637

That’s how I plan to make mine – plastic snaps. My DD’s primary RN said Velcro just doesn’t work in their laundry. Babyville has some great snaps in cute colors!

10. Janet March 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm #5638

I have made one of each size and took them to my local children’s hospice, the neonatal nurse thought they were lovely. She has requested I make the 2 smallest sizes as the babies in their care have life threatening illnesses and some are not expected to live. They are quick and easy to make

11. Joanne September 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm #8272

I really had to search for this website/pattern! thank you so much! To purchase preemie gowns that are NICU friendly is not only difficult to find but also pricey! I have a friend who just had twin boys at 29 weeks. So she needs quite a few of these wonderful little kimonos. Thank you again!
    Blessings!
    Joanne

12. Karynne October 2, 2014 at 12:39 pm #10454

Thank you so very much for making this available, and at such a reasonable price. Besides having a niece who was 10 weeks premature, that I am going to sew for, I have a Sister in Law who is a NICU nurse and when she found out I was making these asked for more for her unit. They look fun and easy to make up. It is a blessing that there are people like you willing to create and provide what you could not find when you needed it.

Thanks again,