A few months back while on Pinterest I stumbled upon this recipe from Sweet Pea’s kitchen that was published in Cooking Light magazine. Anyway recipes I find on Pinterest tend to be 50/50 some rock & some suck! This one ROCKED. One loaf lasts less then 12 hours in our house so I have started making double batches. It is quick & easy to make and is flavorful & most when done. I did change up a few things from the original recipe which I have highlighted in red. I hope your friends and family enjoy it as much as mine!
Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, light rum, coconut rum or apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut for the top
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and juice; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
Yields: 1-9×5 loaf
Source: Cooking Light, September 2007