Kenzie’s Party Dress & Skirt (Newborn-4T)
This pattern is a pattern of love for me, with back to school for the 3 older kids I didn’t have the time to plan the 1st birthday I wanted so I decided I would make sure to create a smashing dress instead. I have to say I think I succeeded!
This timeless dress was inspired by my baby girl Kenzie’s 1st birthday. With classic lines and a variety of options, this pattern can be used over & over for years to come. The back of the empire waist bodice features a beautiful scooped line and the signature skirt is full and eye catching.
With the options included, there are endless design possibilities and anyone can create an heirloom quality garment. Included are 2 sleeve & 2 skirt options for a dress, as well as directions for creating 2 different high waisted skirts in a total 9 sizes per pattern. The simple skirt offers clean lines simple yet classic lines, paired with the full sash that can be tied in beautiful bows and you really can’t go wrong.
Each .pdf pattern includes 24 pages of directions full of pictures & some cutting charts & an inspiration gallery as well as 5 full size, nested printable pattern pieces and a design planner (9-12 pages depending on the size). I won’t lie this sucker is a fabric hog! But it worth every inch.
It is an Intermediate level pattern though some of the advanced beginner testers were comfortable sewing it. Most of the techniques in this pattern are relatively basic and covered in the photos. A few of the ones mentioned & not covered in much detail are hemming, clipping curves, topstitching, finishing seams, button holes & applying double fold bias tape though I do include some clickable links.
One more complicated technique that IS covered is a continuous bound placket otherwise known as a dress placket. If there are techniques you would like more information on you may visit the blog at the top of this page.
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Finishing Seams
- Infants: Newborn, 0-3m, 3-6m, 6-9m, 9-12m
- Toddlers: 12-18m, 18-24m, 2T, 3T, 4T
- See chart for more detailed sizing information & measurements.
- Woven Fabric (see photo yardage chart)
- Sewing Machine
- Iron , Hem Gauge & Ruler
- Size 14 machine needle
- Washable Marker (or other tracing tool)
- Scissors, Coordinating Thread, Pins
- Printer, Paper & Tape (for pattern pieces)
- Roll of tracing paper, freezer paper, parchment paper or cheap interfacing & pen
- OPTIONAL: Rolled hem foot or serger
You Will Also Need:
- 1/2 yard 1″ elastic (High waisted skirt only)
- 7″ Double Fold Bias Tape for dress placket
- OPTIONAL 2 yards of wide ribbon in place of fabric sash
- OPTIONAL: 12-15 yards of bias tape or lace to hem FLOUNCES.
- OPTIONAL: 5 yards of bias tape to finish seams.